Darknests are NPC Castles. They spawn in random locations throughout all Kingdoms, in five (six once the kingdom's protection phase is over) different levels, and last for 24 hours, matching the cycle of the 24h Challenge. Darknests can be rallied by members of the same Guild, to obtain Dark Essence. Rally length can be set to either 5 minutes, 10 minutes, 1 hour, or 8 hours. A minimum of two players are required to partake in the rally. If the Captain is the only player in the rally, it will automatically be cancelled and the rally Captain will receive a system message stating:
Darknests differ from ordinary Castles in a few aspects:
- Scouting and rallying a Darknest does not deactivate shields, or activate Battle Fury. The same applies for joining a Darknest rally.
- Victory against a Darknest does not reward any player EXP.
- Failing to defeat a Darknest will cause it to revert to its original state before the attack.
- In a Darknest Battle, 99% of the player Troops are unharmed and 1% are wounded. This is shown by the additional text in the Battle Report stating:“The goddess is pleased with your efforts. Many of the wounded and dead have been saved!”
- Lv. 1 Darknests can be found in Lv. 1, 2 and 3 areas.
- Lv. 2 and 3 Darknests can be found in Lv. 1, 2, 3 and 4 areas.
- Lv. 4 Darknests can be found in Lv. 2, 3 and 4 areas.
- Lv. 5 Darknests can be found in Lv. 4 and 5 areas.
- Lv. 6 Darknests can be found in Lv. 4 and 5 areas.
Tapping on a Darknest will reveal the Leader, Might and Countdown Timer. The coordinates can be also shared in chat from this window.
Players can scout the Darknest, to obtain a detailed troop composition and reveal the Dark Essence level without igniting battle fury or dropping their shield. On occasion, the Darknest will be equipped with Anti-Scout, and the Scout Report will only reveal the Dark Essence level. The troop composition in a Darknest will often correlate with the Darknest Leader.
Level 5 and 6 Darknests will also have Familiars with Army Talents active, which also correlate with the troop composition. These should only have T3, T4 and or T5 troops sent otherwise moral drops very quickly.
Siege Engine (not leader)
Main article: Transmutation Lab
Dark Essence can be transmuted in the Transmutation Lab, to obtain a random reward.
When searching for a specific Essence Level, the Darknest Might can be used as a guide. If the Darknest is Anti-Scout, the essence level is 1 higher than normal. This is useful for completing the Guildfest quest for Essence Level 19+. The table below provides the Essence Level for some Level 5 Darknests. (Press Expand to view)
The 8 hour Darknest rallies are usually only used to hide troops from opponents, as they can't be attacked when they are in the rally. These are called "Fake" or "Ghost" rallies. This tactic is however not accepted in many Guilds, as it has a number of drawbacks:
- The Darknest may be defeated by other players, causing the rally to be cancelled and all troops will return to their turf.
- Other Guild members may accidentally join the fake rally.
- Other Guild members may oversee real Darknest rallies, because the Guild icon is flashing non-stop.
Darknests were added to the Kingdoms during the update Darknest Rising on January 24th, 2017.
When tapping on a Darknest, the Might number will sometimes be shown as 0. If the player waits a few seconds, and taps on the nest again, the actual Might will be displayed.